Jekyll is a static site generator. It takes text written in your favorite markup language and uses layouts to create a static website. You can tweak the site’s look and feel, URLs, the data displayed on the page, and more.
Jekyll requires the following:
- Ruby version ** or higher
- GCC and Make
See Requirements for guides and details.
- Install all prerequisites.
- Install the jekyll and bundler gems.
gem install jekyll bundler
- Create a new Jekyll site at
jekyll new myblog
- Change into your new directory.
- Build the site and make it available on a local server.
bundle exec jekyll serve
- Browse to http://localhost:4000
--livereload option to
serve to automatically refresh the page with each change you make to the source files:
bundle exec jekyll serve --livereload
Installation varies based on your operating system. See our guides for OS-specific instructions.